This is my review of the books I have read from the list 1000 Novels That Everyone Must Read. Want to read the books off the list and start your own life goal? The link is http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/series/1000novels

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

It seems like it was just yesterday that I was posting about Dracula... oh yeah, it was! That's right, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is PERFECT for the busy student, mom, worker, etc who just wants a fun and feel good read. Such an adorable book, and it's great fun to compare the book to the movie. Honestly, I don't feel the movie captures the uniqueness and oddities that the book spotlights with such ease.

I'm pretty sure most of my readers know the general story of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. While laying out on the grass with her sister one fine spring afternoon, Alice sees a white rabbit go running past her. She watches as the white rabbit pulls out a pocketwatch, and then frantically calls out "I'm Late, I'm Late!" and goes running into a rabbit hole. Of course, Alice cannot resist following the creature down the rabbit hole, which is evidently much deeper than she initially imagined as she falls for an unmeasurable amount of time.

When she reaches the bottom of the hole, she discovers a tiny door and the key to it. She drinks and shrinks, eats and grows, and goes through this process a few times until she somehow manages to escape the room (though not through the door she initially hoped to use). This begins her adventures. As she travels through this wonderful land, she meets many odd creatures, such as a hookah smoking caterpillar, a grinning Cheshire Cat, a Mad Hatter, a Dormouse, an animated pack of cards, and a Queen with a beheading obsession.

This book was such a fun and easy read, I would recommend it to anyone. Honestly, I've never been a big fan of either of the movies made on the book, but allowing my own imagination to create the scenes and creatures worked much better for me. I haven't found one thing that I don't like about this book. It was an amazing escape from the tedious world of college. Of course I am giving this FIVE STARS OUT OF FIVE! It's just to amazing not to. Read it, now! Seriously, its adorable.

Reading Next:: Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll

1 comment:

  1. There are some books as you say for the "busy" reader, that does not have all the time or attention required to read a hard and difficult to analyse book. For example, when I travelled to Argentina, I took a book to read and relax in my free time in one of those buenos aires apartments. But as a tourist, you don´t have much of that, so I needed something like this. It is a good recommendation!
    Cheers,
    Jules

    ReplyDelete